TAVIS K. ANDERSON
I am a Research Biologist in the Virus and Prion Research Unit at the National Animal Disease Center.
I received training in evolutionary biology and virology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I earned my doctorate in ecology and evolution at Rutgers University, and my honours and undergraduate degrees at The University of Queensland.
A few more details can be found at my ORCID ID.
David Hufnagel – Ph.D. (Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Iowa State University). David joined the flu-crew as a postdoctoral associate in 2020. A link to David’s CV for a little more detail on his background is linked here (PDF: DavidEHufnagelsCV).
Alexey Markin – Ph.D. (Computer Science, Iowa State University). Alexey joined the flu-crew in 2020, and his personal webpage has a little more detail on his background (personal webpage).
Garrett Janzen – Ph.D. (Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Iowa State University). Garrett joined the flu-crew in 2022 as part of the Penn-CEIRR project. Some of Garrett’s research is linked here.
Megan Neveau – DVM/Ph.D. candidate. Megan started in the flu-crew in 2020 as an NSF GRFP fellow in the BCB program, and subsequently enrolled in the College of Veterinary Medicine DVM program. Megan’s co-major advisor is Prof. Phillip Gauger.
Joseph Thomas – DVM, Ph.D. Candidate (Veterinary Microbiology). Joe joined the flu-crew in 2020, and is also pursuing his diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathology (ACVP). Joe’s co-major advisor is Prof. Phillip Gauger.
Blake Inderski – Research Technician. Blake joined our team in 2017 and has been leading the United States Swine Pathogen Database initiative, and a number of our general computational projects found on our github page https://github.com/flu-crew
Our flu-crew has an active collaboration with the Computational Biology Group led by Prof. Oliver Eulenstein (Dept. Computer Science, Iowa State University). Through this collaboration we work with PhD. students Sriram Vijendran, Siddhant Grover, and Sanket Wagle to develop algorithms to identify and characterize the evolution of influenza A viruses.
FLUCREW (COMPUTATIONAL) AND GSU ALUMNI (and where they are now)
- Zeb Arendsee – Ph.D. (Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Iowa State University). (personal webpage). Zeb is a staff scientist at Regeneron.
- Jennifer Chang – Ph.D. (Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Iowa State University). Jennifer is a bioinformatician at the Fred Hutch.
- Rasna Walia – Ph.D. (Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, Iowa State University). Rasna is a Data Scientist (Systems Biology) at Corteva Agriscience.
- Kelly Hewitt – ORISE Research Assistant (2016-2018). DVM student at Iowa State University.
- James Alfieri – M.Sc. (2016). Ph.D. student at Texas A&M University.
- Emily Dodd – B.Sc. (2016). M.Sc. student at University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Sarah Dunn – B.Sc. (Honors) (2015). Veterinary technician.
- Maria St. Jean – B.A. (2015). Industry position in biomedical sciences.
- Jackson Tomlinson – B.Sc. (2015). M.Sc. student at Georgia Southern University.